- 1 What wine goes with steamed mussels?
- 2 How do you steam mussels with wine?
- 3 What kind of white wine is used for mussels?
- 4 Can you steam mussels in red wine?
- 5 What pairs well with mussels?
- 6 What goes well with mussels and fries?
- 7 How long do I steam mussels for?
- 8 Can you steam mussels in white wine?
- 9 Are steamed mussels good for you?
- 10 What happens if you eat a dead mussel?
- 11 How can you tell if mussels are good?
- 12 How do you clean mussels?
- 13 How do you prepare and cook mussels?
- 14 How long cook mussels without shells?
What wine goes with steamed mussels?
When steaming mussels simply in white wine or beer with just a few aromatics, the flavor of the dish is really all about the mussels. For wine, opt for crisp, zingy whites with salty minerality, such as French Muscadet or Chablis (Chardonnay that can actually taste like oyster shells).
How do you steam mussels with wine?
Add wine, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, stir to combine. Quickly add the cleaned mussels to the pot, cover and steam for 3 minutes. Carefully open the lid and stir mussels. Cover and steam until mussels are opened up and cooked, 2 to 3 minutes.
What kind of white wine is used for mussels?
Mussels topped and baked with garlic and breadcrumbs suit a crisp dry white like a Pinot Grigio or other Italian white but an unoaked Chardonnay or fruity Sauvignon Blanc such as Sauvignon de Touraine will match well too.
Can you steam mussels in red wine?
Add the mussels and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 1 and 1/4 cup of Pinot Noir wine, cover, and steam the mussels until they open about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve with crusty Italian bread and, of course, some more wine!
What pairs well with mussels?
What to Serve with Mussels (20 Easy Ideas)
- French Fries.
- Saffron Rice.
- Garlic Bread.
- Sweet Potato Fries.
- Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges.
- Toasted Baguette.
- Tomato Sauce.
What goes well with mussels and fries?
Serve mussels with…
- Something with Veggies. frisée & lardons. potato & Leek soup. tomato & onion salad. pickled mushrooms. jicama slaw.
- Something Starchy. crusty bread. garlic bread. frites (french fries ) roasted fingerling potatoes. over toast.
- Something Saucy. white wine sauce. spicy tomato sauce. horseradish cream. aioli.
How long do I steam mussels for?
Heat oil in a 6 to 8-quart stockpot. Saute the shallot, garlic and thyme to create a base flavor. Add the mussels and give them a good toss. Add wine, lemon juice, chicken broth and red pepper flakes; cover the pot and steam over medium-high for 5 minutes until the mussels open.
Can you steam mussels in white wine?
Shallots, garlic and white wine make the perfect broth for steamed mussels. When cooking mussels if any are open before cooking, discard them. Once cooked, if any have not opened, discard those also.
Are steamed mussels good for you?
Mussels are one of the most well-rounded foods to include in your diet, high in zinc, iron and other minerals, vitamins A and B12. A fantastic source of protein, low in calories and low in fat. Prepared in a classic moules marinière or in a more adventurous Thai curry, or simply steamed.
What happens if you eat a dead mussel?
You can eat mussels raw, steamed, boiled or fried as an appetizer or entrée. The meat of dead mussels deteriorates, increasing your risk of microorganism contamination, food poisoning, infectious disease and other health problems.
How can you tell if mussels are good?
Mussels should smell like the ocean and sea air: briny and fresh. They should not smell overly fishy. The shells should be closed tightly. If you find any mussels in your bag with open shells, gently tap them on the counter, wait a minute, and see if they close.
How do you clean mussels?
Place the mussels in a colander in the sink and run water over them, using your hands or a clean scrubbing brush to rub off any debris like seaweed, sand, barnacles, or mud spots that could be on the shell. If you find any mussels with open shells, lightly tap that mussel against the side of the sink.
How do you prepare and cook mussels?
How to prepare mussels
- Check that all the mussels are closed.
- Scrub the mussels well with a stiff brush under cold, running water to remove any barnacles.
- Cook the mussels according to your recipe and discard immediately any shells that have not opened up.
How long cook mussels without shells?
Bring to a boil, then dump in the mussels and cover. Reduce heat to moderate and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mussels open wide. This will take 3 to 6 minutes, but check frequently after 3 minutes.