- 1 What should you check when buying molluscs such as clams oysters and mussels?
- 2 What should you look for when purchasing fresh fish quizlet?
- 3 Which mollusk has a shaggy beard that must be removed?
- 4 Which category of fish has one or two Hardshells?
- 5 How can you detect a good quality mussel or clam?
- 6 What you should check when purchasing molluscs?
- 7 What is the most important sign of freshness in fish fillets?
- 8 What are the two main types of fin fish?
- 9 What are 2 types of finfish?
- 10 Do clams have eyes?
- 11 How do you purge mussels of sand?
- 12 How long will mussels open?
- 13 What are the 10 market forms of fish?
- 14 What are the physical differences between a flat fish and a round fish?
- 15 What is difference between fish and shellfish?
What should you check when buying molluscs such as clams oysters and mussels?
Things to Bear in Mind When Buying Clams, Oysters, or Mussels
- In their raw state, these bivalves should feel heavy for their size.
- Like all seafood, these should smell of the ocean — briny and sweet, like seaweed — and not off-putting or “fishy” in any way.
What should you look for when purchasing fresh fish quizlet?
What does a fresh fish has to be when buying one? Stiff body, tight scales, firm flesh, red gills, and bright bulging eyes.
Which mollusk has a shaggy beard that must be removed?
Mussels have a dark shaggy beard where you pull the beard away from the shell. Is the removal of a mollusk from its shell.
Which category of fish has one or two Hardshells?
-A Mollusk is an animal with is univalve, it basically has ONE shell, or a Bivalve, which has TWO shells. These shells expand as the animal grows. For example: clams, oysters, scallops, and mussels. -Cephalopods are similar to mollusks, these animals have a reduced internal shell called a pen or cuttlebone.
How can you detect a good quality mussel or clam?
For the best quality molluscs, look for the following: The shells should be closed or snap shut when tapped. Bivalves with open shells are not safe for eating. Shucked molluscs should be eaten only if meat is firm and plump and swimming in clear liquid. The smell of shellfish is also a good indicator as to quality.
What you should check when purchasing molluscs?
What to look for when purchasing crustaceans and molluscs:
- Brightly coloured, lustrous shells or flesh.
- Firm, intact shells, heads, tentacles or flesh.
- Shells closed or close when tapped or gently squeezed.
- Pleasant fresh sea smell.
- No discolouration, particularly at joints.
What is the most important sign of freshness in fish fillets?
Whatever the variety, whole fish have certain characteristics that indicate freshness. They should have bright, clear, full eyes that are often protruding. As the fish loses freshness, the eyes become cloudy, pink, and sunken. The gills should be bright red or pink.
What are the two main types of fin fish?
Fish Fins: Types, Modification and Functions
- Dorsal Fin. This type of fin is located on the top or back of the fish which help the fish in quick turns or stops.
- The Types of Dorsal Fins. Single.
- Pelvic Fin.
- Anal Fin.
- Pectoral Fin.
- Adipose Fin.
- Caudal Fin.
- Functions of Fins.
What are 2 types of finfish?
There are three major groups of finfish: superclass Agnatha (jawless fish), class Chondrichthyes (cartilaginous fish), and class Osteichthyes (bony fish).
Do clams have eyes?
Our simple answer is “They can see you!”. Giant clams possess several hundred small pinhole eyes (or also known as ‘hyaline organs’) on the exposed mantle (Kawaguti & Mabuchi 1969; Land 2003). These ‘ eyes ‘ are light-sensitive, which allows them to detect changes in light levels, i.e. dark versus light.
How do you purge mussels of sand?
Using your hands, agitate mussels gently to remove any debris clinging to the shells. Let mussels soak for 15 minutes. During submersion, mussels filter water in and out of their shells as they breathe. Soaking encourages them to expel any sand or debris remaining inside.
How long will mussels open?
Mussels will keep for 2 to 3 days, however, they are best when cooked as soon as possible. Shucked mussels that have not been cooked can be stored in water or their liquor, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
What are the 10 market forms of fish?
Terms in this set (9)
- Whole Fish. the market form of a fish that is taken from the water and sold as is.
- Drawn Fish. a fish that has only its viscera removed.
- Dressed FIsh. a fish that has been scaled and has had the viscera, gills, and fins removed.
- Pan Dressed Fish.
- Fish Steak.
- Fish Fillet.
- Butterflied Fillet.
What are the physical differences between a flat fish and a round fish?
Flat fish have fewer bones and can yield up to 4 fillets, while a round fish results in two fillets, one on each side of the fish! Large round fish, like tuna and swordfish, have a different bone structure, resulting in four loins surrounding a central spine.
What is difference between fish and shellfish?
Fish have backbones, an internal skeleton of cartilage and bones, gills for breathing, and fins for swimming. While for shellfish have no backbones (invertebrate), but have hard shells that cover their bodies. Shellfish are found in both freshwater and saltwater. Two types of shellfish are mollusks and crustaceans.